- IntroductionNorthgate U is a fun, classroom-style environment where adults are challenged with solid Biblical & topical teaching. Take responsibility for your spiritual growth and take advantage of this great opportunity to...
- Develop a deeper, more intimate relationship with God
- Connect with other adults through shared experiences
- Find encouragement, support & accountability
- Engage in open conversation in a safe, nonjudgmental atmosphere
- Learn practical applications for daily Christian living
Scholarships are available for classes. Please contact Lani Sinclair (northgateuemail) or Dave McMurtry (daveatngate) for scholarship information.
- Current Classes
Equipping whole-hearted followers of Jesus Christ
2013 Winter Term
Classes Begin April 14th
Sundays 4:00 - 6:00 PM and 6:00 - 8:00 PM
Northgate U Registration
March 24th - April 7th in the Café & Online
No childcare will be offered this term.
Please contact Lani Sinclair (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Dave McMurtry (email@example.com) for scholarship information for classes.
Northgate U offers five terms each year and two Certificate Programs: Foundations and Frameworks
*Foundations Certificate – understand the what, why & how of being a Christ-follower
*Frameworks Certificate – build in-depth knowledge & insight in one specific area, such as Biblical Studies or Theological Studies
Any class may be taken without enrolling in a Certificate Program.
New Believers Class
Comparative Religions: Islam
This series is designed for the new believer and long-time Christian alike.
What You’ll Discover
This six-week class offers new believers a high-level view of the New Testament, the basic teachings of Christ, and the role of the Church. Experienced Bible students will grow in their understanding of church doctrine, the Holy Spirit’s role in all areas of life, and what it means to be a whole-hearted follower of Christ.
Week 1 • Overview of the Old Testament and Introduction to the Gospels
Week 2 • Conclusion of the Introduction to the Gospels
Week 3 • Book of Acts and the Holy Spirit’s Role in the Church
Week 4 • Paul’s Epistles
Week 5 • Other Epistles
Week 6 • Synopsis of the Book of Revelation and Wrap Up
Time: Sundays • 6:00 - 8:00 PM
Teacher: John Cosmides
Helping Your Teen Survive Adolescence
What You’ll Discover
This six-week course will encourage parents with adolescents 10+ years old to build healthy relationships with your children and understand that you are not alone in the challenges you face. You will find practical, biblically sound guidance on being the loving, caring and effective guide that your kids need.
Week 1 • Know the River – What’s So Scary About Adolescence Anyway?
Week 2 • Know the Raft – Home is Where You Transfer the Values
Week 3 • Know the Riders – What is Acceptable and Unacceptable Teenage Behavior?
Week 4 • Know the Risks – Tough Questions that Deserve Straight Answers.
Week 5 • Know the Relationships – Practical Guidelines
Week 6 • Know the Reality –Don’t Navigate the River of Alone.
Time: Sundays • 4:00 - 6:00 PM
Teachers: Kerry and Norm Szczepanski
Northgate U offers two Certificate Programs:
- Understand the what, why & how of being a Christ-follower
- Courses provide a broad view of the Bible & Christian faith
- Eight classes must be completed
- Build in-depth knowledge & insight in a specific area/track
- Courses offer more advanced knowledge & application to help you build a life as a wholehearted follower of Jesus
- Five classes must be completed beyond the Foundations Certificate within one of the four tracks
- One track-specific project must also be completed
- Biblical Studies – gain a deeper knowledge of God’s Word
- Ministry Leadership – prepare to serve wherever God leads you
- Spiritual Life Studies – integrate Christian beliefs into your everyday life
- Theological Studies – learn what you believe & why
The Northgate U certificate programs are not accredited by any other organization. The purpose of these programs is to help you structure your life, worldview and mission according to the unique plans God has for you.
- Biblical StudiesThe Biblical studies classes equip you with better understanding and appreciations of God’s word always in a meaningful context of how it applies to your own life.Old Testament SurveyThis course takes the complex and makes it simple, the intimidating and makes it inviting and the boring and makes it exciting. It will provide you a framework for future study of the Old Testament to open God’s truth.New Testament SurveyThis course offers new believers a high-level view of the New Testament, the basic teachings of Christ, and the role of the Church. Experienced Bible students will grow in their understanding of church doctrine, the Holy Spirit’s role in all areas of life, and what it means to be a whole-hearted follower of Christ.How to Read the BibleReading the Bible can feel like a confusing and daunting task. This course will establish a basis for Biblical interpretation and application and empower you read the Bible with confidence.GenesisJourney back to the beginning where God establishes that He is the Creator of the universe and the sovereign Lord over all His Creation. Meet Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Joseph, Noah and many others whose stories make up this fascinating first book of the Bible.Christ and the Passover (Exodus)This five week course will teach about the Exodus, the holiday of Passover, why is it celebrated, how Christ celebrated it, and why is it important to us today as Christians.Wisdom LiteratureTBDLife and Ministry of Jesus (Based on the book of John)Follow the footprints of Jesus through the gospel of John. Walk alongside Christ as he thinks--and speaks--outside of the box. His bold claims enrage power-grabbing religious leaders. His miracles astonish onlookers. And his teachings ring out with the compelling authority of truth.Sermon on the MountGain an in-depth look at Jesus’ “State of the Union” message to us, his disciples. Come learn how this amazing passage pertains to us today.ActsTBDRomansTBDHebrewsTBDJames/EphesiansTBDRevelationTBD
- Spiritual LifeSpiritual Life courses help you apply biblical wisdom in practical everyday life.Northgate JourneyThis class will help you discover the real purpose of your life and identify the next step in your journey to fulfill that purpose.Becoming a Contagious ChristianBecoming a contagious Christian is an evangelism training experience that will equip you to share your faith in a personal and natural style that fits you.Experiencing GodLearn how to know Him intimately, step out in faith and join Him in His work—with miraculous results.Financial Peace UniversityChange your financial future by managing your money God’s way. Learn a step-by-step process taught by best-selling author and financial counselor Dave Ramsey.Fresh Start: Healing from Divorce or SeparationBecome renewed and revitalized with the nationally recognized Divorce Care program.Making the Most of MarriageThis study provides practical help for marriage despite time constraints, temptations and challenges.Managing Your Emotions When the Pressure is OnKeep a level head – even when you are at the end of your rope. Learn how to create healthier routines and relationships by bringing more discipline into your personal life.Prayer: Does It Make Any Difference?Explore and experience the very heartbeat of your relationship with God. This study will help you more fully consider, experience, and cherish the priceless gift of prayer.Restoring the Sizzle, When Your Marriage Starts to FizzleExplore ways that marriages sometimes slip into a rut and learn some practical and creative ways to increase the level of fulfillment and joy.Running the Rapids: Guiding Teenagers through the Turbulent Waters of AdolescenceThis class will help strengthen your home life and raise well-balanced teenagers. It is designed to encourage parents with adolescents 10+ years old to build healthy relationships with your children and understand that you are not alone in the challenges you face.Spiritual ParentingEmpower yourself to be the primary nurturer of your child’s faith. Learn how to create a home environment God can use to work in your children’s lives.Starting PointDiscover the broad arch of God’s story and where you fit. This course offers a safe place and a conversational environment for people with questions about faith, as well as those who want to learn about the Bible and Christianity.The Smart Step-FamilyThis course explodes the myth of the “blended” family and provides realistic, practical, and Biblically-based solutions.
- Theological StudiesThe Theological Studies track is designed to give you a solid Christian foundation for thinking through life's most important issues. It is for busy people who may never go to seminary but who want deeper theological training.Introduction to TheologyThis is a theological methods course, that helps people begin to construct a biblical worldview and understand historical and contemporary alternatives.God & TrinitarianismThis course is a study of the nature, existence, and attributes of our Trinitarian God. It will challenge and enlarge your perception of God.Bibliology and HermeneuticsThis course focuses on the authority, nature, and interpretation (hermeneutics) of the Scriptures. It is designed to help you work through issues that concern the trust you place in the Bible and its interpretation.Humanity and SinThis course is a study of the nature of man from a biblical perspective including the pre-fall and post-fall state of humanity and the implications of being created in the image of God.SalvationThis course is a study of the nature of salvation and growth in Christ. It will focus on the process and responsibilities of salvation by studying Scriptures and the history of the church, including the meaning of justification, atonement, sanctification and the tension between God’s sovereignty in salvation and man responsibility.How to Defend Your Faith (Biblical Apologetics)Are you prepared to answer the tough questions about your beliefs? This class will help you learn to defend your faith with effective methods and principles of Christian Apologetics.Covenants of the BibleThis class explores the rights and responsibilities of being in Covenant with God – specifically, what God expects from us, and what we can expect from God.Worship 101Come explore Old and New Testament forms of Worship, and learn how to apply these principles to your life.